Lilypie

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Bare Necessities

When you start thinking about a baby, or 3 babies, you start to think about all the things they need. Of course they have to have food, cribs, car seats, clothing, necessities like that. But do they need everything you see in a baby store?

In our Birth and Beginnings class last night we talked about all the baby items on the market and how most of them aren't needed. The instructor was discussing how some companies convince people that their product is best, or needed, when it really isn't.

That made me start thinking about how easy it is to get caught up in buying everything out there for a baby. If you aren't careful, you could have a house full of baby items and no room for the babies. I remember a time when we were traveling with our nephew. I created a toy for him by dropping a penny into an empty 2 liter bottle. He seemed to really enjoy running around and shaking the bottle to make noise. So much for store bought toys.

I ran across this article from the Washington Post. It's from the "Tell Me About It" column by Carolyn Hax. I think it really helps put things into perspective.

Tell Me About It: Baby's bare necessities are basic
By Carolyn Hax
THE WASHINGTON POST

Monday, February 14, 2005

Dear Carolyn: I just found out that I'm pregnant. I am psyched for all the obvious reasons, but also dismayed with myself. I'd planned to do so much more before becoming a mom. I had always promised myself that I'd make a lot of money so I could give a child everything; that I'd be living in a nice house in a nice suburb, etc. Well, I work at a nonprofit, as does my husband, and we live in a rented condo, not a house, and I'm just so worried that we won't be able to provide for our baby the way I always fantasized we could. I also feel thoroughly guilty for thinking this way.Help? Advice? - Massachusetts

Dear Massachusetts: "Everything" to a baby is love, food, warm clothing, dry pants and, in a few months, some measuring cups to play with. Stability's nice, but not if it's at the expense of love, food, warm clothing and dry pants.

This question really isn't about those things anyway.

It's about things we promise ourselves, envision, fantasize. There comes a point in all lives when it's time to release them, like helium balloons, and go back inside and embrace the lives we actually have, because we actually chose them, for reasons we may not have given much thought lately.

So think about them, now. You and your husband went the condo-nonprofit route for reasons that probably make sense to you, probably brought you together, and definitely say something about you both. I bet it's something you like about yourselves.

That is what you'll be giving your baby. Add life insurance, a will and even the tiniest savings account, and you can call that everything, too.

1 comment:

Sasha@Pw said...

Great entry! And so true! Kiddo#1 loves playing with empty boxes, scotch tape and banging the pots and pans as much as he loves the store bought toys he has. His father and I like to focus on imagination and play rather than expensive games.